- Go to the following site: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/IIIMechanisms.shtml
- Read about the various mechanisms of evolution. Be sure to click each link on the left-hand side of each page so that you see all the examples.
- Pay particular attention to the following terms/concepts: natural selection, genetic drift, causes & types of mutations, HOX genes, bottleneck, founder effect, fitness, misconceptions about natural selection, coevolution
- Take the ‘quick quiz’ at the end
- Read the ‘Pace of Evolution’ subsection under the ‘Big Issues’ section to understand punctuated equilibrium vs. gradualism (http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/evo101/VIIAPaceevolution.shtml)
- Also be sure to understand the term ‘niche’