You have already read chapter 7 in your STEM book on descriptive statistics. Soon we will learn how to take advantage of computer programs to quickly calculate various statistics for us. But first you must be sure you understand what the statistics actually mean when you are trying to interpret them. To further help your understanding of some of these descriptive statistics, you should complete the following:
- Go to this page: http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/central-measures.html to read more about ‘central tendency’.
- at the bottom of that page answer questions 4, 5, and 6.
- Go to this page: http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/quartiles.html to read more aboutquartiles and theinterquartile range.
- answer questions 1, 3, 4, and 6 at the bottom of that page
- Go to this page: http://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-deviation.html to read more about ‘standard deviation’.
- answer questions 1 and 3 at the bottom of that page
- You do not need to memorize the equations for standard deviation or variance but you do need to understand what they mean.