Use your textbook to complete the reading and questions I assigned in class, which I have summarized below.
1. Read chapter 11 – there is a lot of good information in this chapter about how nerves work. Give particular concentration to the items below.
- Know table 11.1 on pages 371-372
- Know the pictures on pages 379 & 385.
- Know table 11.2 on page 387.
- Know the neurotransmitter information in table 11.3 on pages 392-393
- Know figure 11.22 regarding second messengers
- Read the “Closer Look” on page 396-397 and answer the questions below.
- How can the “wisdom of the body” and the way it responds to neurotransmitter like chemicals be related to antibiotic use/overuse?
- Why is cocaine addictive? (How does it work?)
- What is crack?
- Can you see any problems with treating someone with Manzindol?
- How does an overdose of Heroin kill?
- Can you experience constant pleasure (for years), physiologically and psychologically? Why or why not?
2. Read pages 456-461 (in chapter 13) and take notes on the sensory receptors.
- Know table 13.1 on page 459.
3. Complete the study guide pages given in class.
4. Answer the following Chapter 11 Review questions: MC #1,3,5,6,10,11; SA #1,15,16,17,18,19,20,21; CA #1,2,3,4
This is due on Wednesday, 2/19/14 by the start of class